Monday, February 6, 2012

Vero Beach Solitude

It is true I'm the youngest person in Florida right now !
A nice morning, still a bit salty from the swim(on purpose) yesterday. The breeze was not quite on the nose as the day before so I could just squeeze the main to work. I needed to make Vero Beach because the guides said there really wasn't a place I between to anchor. It was true.

All day was lots of clouds some with light rain but nothing scary... Until about 5 miles out of Vero looking to the south the sky started looking darker and darker, and that was with the sunglasses off

So I first reefed the main, then it kept getting darker, so I took in the jib, and more darkness, then the main came down and was secured, darkness definitey coming my way.

Oh gee(not verbatim) I said forget this and pulled off the channel as far as I could and anchored. If I'm  in somebody's way I'll  figure it out then!

I waited and waited and it didn't come but what did come was a lot of breeze and some rain dead on the nose. No matter all the sails were stowed.

I set up the inside steering under the dodger, got the engine going and headed for beautiful Vero beach. How right I was!

Where I stayed the next three days was on a mooring in a small harbor with a marina and yacht club. People come in September tie up to dock a or a mooring and stay till April and then head back home. Not bad for about 350.00 a month  It's a great place that has gobs of money but more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment