Thursday, October 13, 2011

Faster than marsh grass

I woke early to calm, dark, foggy morning which seemed fitting for this place. The river was just starting to turn with the tide coming in and I knew I had to leave soon or it would be another day on the Cohansey. Cranked up the motor and headed down river. By the time I got to the mouth, the boat at almost full throttle was doing 1-1.5 knots.   The marsh grass could not be moving any slower.
     Breaking free of the river I headed to the channel to get out of all the crabtrap floats. Can't wrap anything around the shaft now can we? Visibility was 100 yds but the GPS kept coming through.
     By the hour the wind kept lifting and with the current helping and all sails set  I was at Reedy Island by10:30.  Wow the boat was doing between 6-7 knots. Why not go all the way to the canal?  Got to the start of the canal(pic) just as the tide turned in my favor. What a great day! Passing big ships and barges very cool. Pulled into Chesapeake City set the anchor and just sat and reflected how all sailing days should be just like that. Something tells me I'm going to pay for that last statement!

No comments:

Post a Comment