Friday, October 14, 2011

Just a 26' boat with an 8hp motor

     I went to a museum about the canal in the morning( pic). Decided to move on and get into the Bay proper. The day is warm with some thunder showers predicted. Get to the head of the bay here I am --yea! 
     Raise the main, breeze seems to be coming up. In less than 5 minutes I'm doing everything I can to get it down. Wind's dead on the nose and getting stronger by the minute. I am heading for a buoy and the boat's doing 2 knots. The seas are building because of the fetch; now I have every wave with a whitecap and the buoys are not getting any closer. A wall of white comes down on me and a couple of other boats. It takes the bow, pushes me sideways, and in doing so flattens the boat. Thank goodness for a big rudder. It spins around, stands up and there's no way to turn the boat around into the wind even if I wanted to. I'm going back. Nothing else to do.
     Back in the anchorage there's nothing that I can think of that I should have done differently, it's just a 26' boat with an 8hp motor. They are predicting gusts to 30 knts after the front comes through. Saturday will be a good day for updating the blog, going for a walk.......

No comments:

Post a Comment