Monday, September 19, 2011

I didn't want that stupid old centerboard anyway

    After clearing New Haven, the sail down to Fairfield seemed effortless.  A nice broad reach with the vane doing the work, I was able to sit and figure out how I was going to keep myself out of these jams. As I reached Bridgeport harbor naturally a huge ferry was coming in and it seemed we were on a collision course. I furled then jib, unhooked the vane and just ghosted along while he passed.
     Then my phone rang and it was Andy, the young man who worked with me in my shop. It was great to hear his voice, and his news was that they had a baby boy and all was ok in the world. Isn't that all any of us want?
     I continued to Black Rock where I picked up a mooring from the yacht club( ok, well, I really didn't tell them but I was going to if they asked, of course). To be on the mooring was a huge relief.  I just needed one night to not worry about whether I was going to end up on the rocks or into somebody's boat. The first thing I did was to go over the side to inspect the board. I got my mask and very slowly went in-- it was cold!  I got to the aft edge of the board and thankfully it didn't look damaged. I came back up for air and went down to further check it out. Actually it was to check them both out! It looked like Jaws had taken a giant bite out of the board, and 3/4 of the way forward it was completely busted from the other 1/4. 
     Somehow in New Haven, when I raise the board it came back up into the slot perfectly. But now, there was nothing else to do but lower it and cut away. (I thought about bringing it up and taking pictures but thought what a nasty way to get hurt.) So no risks, just cut it. And that's what I did. I didn't want that stupid old centerboard anyway. So now I have this little piece that pivots on the pin busted and raw. It's going to make some great fish story in a bar after they haul it somewhere. "Like I said boys that shark was longer than this here bar, and he was a might bit angry........"

No comments:

Post a Comment