Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lunch with Nancy

    Got an early start just being exited to continue the cruise. I left the creek very carefully staying in the absolute center of the channel. The tide was in my favor seeing it was early morning so getting down the river was as pleasant as going up. On the way down I tried the centerboard but it was still stuck the only time it worked was right after painting the bottom now it won't go up or down.
     The breeze slowly died on the way over to Duck Island so I started the engine and slowly made my way over to Westbrook. The batteries needed charging anyway(at least that's what I tell myself). Duck Island has a wonderful right angle breakwater with an island at the elbow. You're protected from anything but the north but then you could just sneak around the backside. I rowed in to the town dock met with Nancy and had the best tasting roastbeef grinder ever. Remember this is a rice and beans project!  She also gave me Chips Ahoy cookies(no pun intended I'm sure), and animal crackers that I have not had for ever. Did I mention the beer?
     While sitting on the dock enjoying lunch I noticed the sky had changed and there was bit more breeze. I felt bad but I knew I had to go. It would be a good row back out in calm weather but this was going to be some more work. I got lucky because between the breeze piping up and all the powerboat guys coming back in with there wakes it was a tough row and Star just didn't seem to be getting any closer. I kept at it, didn't want to sleep on the beach that night and slowly closed on it. Note to self - small outboard someday. A great sunset with the cloud formations.
     Next stop New Haven.

No comments:

Post a Comment