Sunday, September 18, 2011

More lessons learned

     I woke really early, like 5am, because I swear the boat was aground in the middle of the night. I may have gone in too far towards the breakwaters but in the light breeze when I first got there it all seemed good. But the the breeze changed and I found myself in thin water.   Oh well I'll just beach the boat from now on instead of anchoring-- it's such a nuisance anyway.
     It was actually blowing a pretty stiff breeze for that early in the morning but it was east north east so I would have a reach the whole way. Can't beat that, so I raised the anchor with it's line rode(it's so much easier now)put it all away and bore off for  parts west. Because the breeze was so steady I thought would be a good time to set up the wind vane, I certainly didn't want to steer the whole way. (Note to self do this setting up thing when the boat is at anchor not while its rocking all over the place with a good breeze behind me.) I got it all set up.
     It's important to note here that anytime I'm on the boat and it's moving thru the water I have a safety harness on and am clipped in at all times. If I can swim around the boat five times and be pretty tired after that, I wouldn't stand much of a chance in the middle of the sound.
     Now the boat was steering herself and keeping a really good course I could relax, figure out where I was going. I decided to stay along the shore and jump from buoy to buoy. This would be more interesting than going out in to the middle of the sound and just sailing. There would be some navigating to do as well as some sight seeing. Because I was on a reach with the seas on my quarter the boat had a good chance to sail to hull speed which it did for a long time.
     We made great time and before I new it we past Clinton and the sun was just starting to rise. The waves and sky were a platinum steel grey and it wasn't warm so I was happy to see that sun was going to make a showing today. We barreled along with the self steering doing all the work I was just a passenger sitting in my favorite spot in the companionway just looking. That's all-- just looking. The breeze picked up some more so I got out my lazy seat went forward to the mast and put a reef in the main. This might slow me down a little but it makes it more comfortable for the boat and the windvane. It's times like that I'm happy to have a nice simple little 26' boat.
     With the breeze up the waves were getting some what bigger but because of the angle the boat was sailing it was still ok. Dead down wind would have been not so much fun. But this? This was fun!  Out to the left was Falkner Island I swear it looks like a piece of Scotland in our own backyard. This chunk of rock with a tower for a light house - if they ever decide to sell that one I might get in line. On my right were the Thimble Islands with some very old established houses that you know have been families for generations. I now this isn't going to be the last time I say this but Man is there a lot of money in this part of the country!
     The breeze and the seas are holding steady but I start to note that as the sun climbs higher the breeze is just starting to back into the a bit and with that I bet a change. Nothing ever stays the same out here. My thoughts turn to maybe let's skip New Haven and just continue on down to Fairfield,  I was making such good time it will only be 1:00 by the time I get to the NH area. The wind heard me and as time went by it started to soften a bit then come back up but with each change it got lighter and less steady. Although this didn't seem to bother the waves. They actually seemed to like it to the point were they came closer together just to mix things up a bit. The poor windvane didn't quite know what to do between the wind going up and down in strength and the seas getting really sloppy.
     Just as I was about to disconnect the vane the boat came up into the wind and slid or I should say fell off a wave at just the wrong time and angle. The next thing I know I'm holding on so I don't go from one side of the boat to other thru the air when I hear a bang and then another really big bang. The boat straightened up i gathered my wits unhooked the vane and continued on to NH steering the rest of the way. Getting closer to the city I was getting pretty tired and had remembered that all I had for food was a pb&j before I left DI. Maybe the prudent thing to do would be to stop. So that's what decided to do. I also had to figure out what those two loud bangs were.
     I had the choice of three giant break waters.  Luckily the first one offered the best protection from the east south easterly swell. I ran around and anchored in 15 ft. I cleaned up the boat and set everything up so that in the middle of the night something happen the boat would be prepared. The boat probably not the owner. It was nice to be behind this big wall of rock, I certainly would not be on the other side! 
     To try and figure out what the bangs were the first thing that came to mind was the board maybe it let go finally and slammed up against the forward end of the trunk that must have been it. I went to see if that were true by taking the line and letting the board down. Holy cow it was free so I let it down and down and down. I immediately pulled it back up and heard this horrible crunching sound that only fiberglass can make.  I had no idea but really didn't want to know.
   So the best course of action, since by then it was late afternoon, was to open a beer and think of more pleasant thoughts like the sail to Fairfield and maybe seeing some old friends. I would dive under the boat in the morning when it was what calmer?warmer? Give me a break !
     The next morning was another very important lesson in the way few are. I woke with the boat maybe 75yds off that big breakwater with the wind now blowing north by north east and I had the entire fetch of New Haven harbor coming down on me. The heck with what ever was going on down below the boat I had to get out of there but I really didn't know how.  I had to go forward and pull up the anchor rode then get the section of chain up run back in time so I didn't  get slammed into the rocks. No way I put myself in a real spot.
     The logical thing to do was to hold tight and stay there till the wind either changed or dropped. But if in that time the anchor let go (gee has that ever happened?) I'd really be in a mess couldn't even walk home from that one. I had to be in control of the boat at all times so I couldn't leave the helm for a minute. I went forward and led the bitter end of the rode aft thru two blocks and then to the starboard sheet winch. Started the engine and at about that same time I pretty much wanted to puke.
     The breakwater was really close, this had to work. Not even enough time to think about golf!  I put the engine in gear and slowly inched my way forward and winched the rode in. Because of the breeze and the waves the had a tough time following the rode. I got all the line part in but the chain still hung there and kept us connected to the earth.   I gave some more gas, connected the autohelm, and went forward to muscle the chain. Much to my surprise the boat broke out the anchor while I was going forward and the autohelm was steering me clear and away from the jetty. I basically just stood there and let the boat take care of itself which is a heck of a lot more than I did.
     I should have listened to the weather and found a different anchorage. This was a mistake a big one that couldn't happen again. This was not a little mud to pull myself off of, this was big mean rocks and really once again could of sent me home. So it was off to Fairfield and once again a nice blustery reach to get us there quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment