Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cabin Comforts

I'm sitting in the port bunk facing aft. I have my hand-spun and hand-woven wool blanket doubled up and on my legs. I have light on behind me, which gives plenty of nice warm light for reading or just sitting and thinking. 

Right now I'm writing up the days events for the blog.  I have my water and ginger snaps for desert. Dinner was a slice of homemade bread with butter, summer sausage,and cheese. I did have two beers after the anchor went down and I was sure that it was set. 

I'm now up cattle pen creek, which is part of St Catherines Island  The tide is still coming in, and wind is from the top of the creek. So what happens is the the wind pushes the water and tide pushes the wind. You get short choppy waves that have whitecaps on them even though the creek is maybe 100' wide. Needless to say the boat is getting bounced around a lot. 

I have great confidence in my anchor. I have to because the boat tonight is really in the middle of nowhere. 

Throughout these islands there are not a lot of people, since many of the islands I  think are privately owned. And they're really hard to get to(believe me). 

In the entire day I saw one shrimper way down one of the sounds and a barge coming up a cut. It's as if I have the whole waterway to myself. This is after 35 miles of motoring and sailing. 

I'm looking forward to Florida where there will be some people. It's very beautiful here but you are far and deep away from anything. I know I've said this before about other places but this is especially true here. 

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment