Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shanken Flukes top secret gear

AP. WS Beaufort SC

4TH Generation anchor hunter to disclose long held secrets!!


It has come to this reporters attention thru long held sources that Mr. Shanken Flukes famed anchor hunter has reached his bitterend and has agreed to come forth and reveal the secrets of his family's success in the endeavors of hunting rare and lost anchors. Enclosed in this article is a photo taken as recently as one day ago showing the business end of the gear "ole" Shanken uses on the anchor hunts. 


It has also come to this reporters attention that the US government may use this in Top Secret Ops(or is it oops)

Says Shanken " I"m only to glad to get the world of lost anchors out of the mud" 

A line that will go down in history!

Reported by Worrn Rodes
While the boat was high and dry I thought it a good idea if I took my anchor, chain, and rode out to help pull star off the mud bank if the tide didn't come up enough. There had been and still was a strong northwest breeze pushing all the water out of the creek.

I ran the bitter end thru some blocks and back to the cockpit winches. I then put the rest of the gear into the dinghy and rowed out to the opposite bank letting the line and chain out.  I dropped the anchor over and while drifting down stream clean the mud and muck out of the dinghy I looked back and knew something was wrong. 

It was one of those times your brain says this is reality but your emotions say no this can't be this didn't happen. I had forgotten to attach the bitter end! As I pulled and let the anchor rode out of the dinghy I was also pulling it thru the blocks and out into the creek. 

I was really mad and upset(although I don't think those were the words I would have used at the time). I took off as much clothing as I could and waded into the water trying to search with my feet to see if hopefully the end didn't go out to far. 

I kept sinking up to my calfs in this really thick mud and was having trouble pulling my legs out with each step. Not worth it I wasn't going to drown for an anchor. I made my way back to sandbank where the boat was, got out the small danforth and tried to drag for it. No go 

Here I was my boat completely out of the water, up a creek on a sandbank 20 miles from civilization, I just lost 400.00 worth of anchoring gear because of a really stupid mistake, and to top it off it was my Birthday aaaaggh!


Stay tuned for part two of the story of Shanken Flukes

No comments:

Post a Comment