Monday, January 9, 2012

The voyage continues

     As I opened my eyes this morning, it was a bit of a stretch to figure out that I was actually back on Star and in Charleston. But here I am armed with my IPod and ready to continue on. 
 

     The first thing on the list was to put the dinghy overboard again. I had it all planned out with halyards, spinnaker pole, guy lines, everything one would need to launch one of the Queen Mary's lifeboats. In the end I flipped it over while still on the foredeck, raised it with the halyard, pushed it overboard, and lowered it to a very soft splash. Not what I expected, but I'll take it. 
     Next was would the engine start?  If not I would become a customer at this yard-- not a good idea, since most boats here would use Star as a dinghy. As usual my fears were false, starting up on the first try and running as if it had been going everyday. 
     My chances for getting a ride to the grocery store weren't looking to good so I took inventory of what I had in my cooler and three storage bins, and clearly had enough to last to either Beaufort or even Savanna. I apparently have a thing for green cut beans, who would of thought?
Before leaving for the northern tundra I made sure everything would be ready to go when I got back for the rest of the trip south, I'm glad I did because I'm getting funny looks from the yard guys and I think it's time for the Yankee to take leave!
     Thank goodness for Bill Livingston I would like to thank him here and say that this part of the trip would have been a lot different had it not been for his generosity. Without knowing it he probably added a whole month to the trip. Thank you. 
Tonight we're going to go get a beer,I'll come back turn the boat around with the help of the tide and have Star point down river for an easy take off and say good bye to Charleston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment