Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Race! No Motors!

Last day at the Morning Star marina, got to get going again. Even two days is to much without moving!

Roger the owner of the 40' Cat threw down the gauntlet. He came by and asked when the last the time the sailcover had been off. Ok maybe three weeks but I had used the jib almost every day. Really - I think...

Rogers a real sailor and the look in his eye made me cringe. I had become "one of them"- I didn't mean to, it just happens. It evolves that way. One day you stop using the main and the next thing you know the jib hasn't been out in days. Come to think of it I did start looking longingly at some powerboats. 

Ok, enough is enough!  I challenged mister big catamaran sailor to a race out the harbor. He was going all the way out to the ocean. I had to turn right to continue down the ICW. But that still left us a couple of miles to find out who was best. ( I had a sneaking suspicion who that was). No matter it was on, except Roger being Roger added a twist. We would take off from the dock under full sail. No motors. 

Ok fine-- except it was mid tide(8'full) coming in against us at a full rip, and the cold front had just gone thru so the wind was dead behind us out of the north but  was light an well light!  

Just getting the sails up was a challenge for me seeing as we were down wind. But the mainsail on a 40' cat is huge, boy was he going to have a time of it!  Oh gee too bad!

It's amazing how things get easier with an electric winch( the rules commity has my protest)

No comments:

Post a Comment